Archive for October, 2016

Unknown Plant Update

Monday, October 31st, 2016

Seedpods Unknown Plant

Seedpods Unknown Plant

Seedlings, Seeds from Seedpods of Unknown Plants

October 10, 2016 Seedlings from Unknown Plant Seedpods


October 31, 2016 Plants from Unknown Plant Seedpods

What Happened?

Monday, October 31st, 2016

I was looking through some work in progress and thought this looked odd.

Casemaking Moth Damage

The last time I saw this piece the stitchwork background was completed. The plan was to add another layer of stitchwork with fiber and seeds with the code, A Fragment of Memory.

When I opened the graph paper I found this–
Casemaking Moth Damage

And this–

Casemaking Moth Damage

So what caused the damage?

Casemaking Moth Damage

Casemaking Moths.

I have a weird fascination with the critters. They totally creep me out. And yet they are rather interesting the way they become active with a bit of light. And how they carry their shelter with them.

It is frustrating to have work destroyed. Even if it is work in progress.

This is a image of the damaged alpaca lace piece and a piece that is stitched with bamboo.

Casemaking Moth Damage Comparison

They were on the same shelf, right next to each other. Does this show a fiber preference? Or maybe the difference was the alpaca piece was partially inside of a piece of folded paper. That would make for a darker more protected environment for the casemaking moths.

I have written about casemaking moths in the past here, here, and here.

The first time I wrote about casemaking moths was March 2012, the last time was in September 2014, well until now.

Unknown Seed Pods

Monday, October 10th, 2016

I like the challenge of growing plants, shrubs trees from seed and cuttings. Sometimes I am successful, sometimes not so much.

A couple of months back, a friend gave me a small plastic bag filled with potential plants.

unknown seed pods

She said that she had saved them years ago, but could not remember what they were. I looked at the pods. They looked vaguely familiar, but I could not identify them.

I planted them 19 September. I placed the pot on the back of a shelf in my greenhouse.

unknown seed pods planted

This image was taken 24 September.
unknown seedlings

It did not occur to me that the seed would respond so quickly to a bit of soil, warmth, and water. I was surprised to see growth so quickly. Unfortunately the seedlings are leggy.

I moved the pot to the front of the shelf. After a few days of morning sun, I moved the pot to a protected location amongst some potted plants.

Over the weekend I noticed the plants developed their second set of leaves.

unknown seedlings second set of leaves

Now I wait for the plants to reveal their identity.